Sunday 15 March 2015

Arbutus Review + Wicked!

Boo!

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing mothers in the world! Hope you're all spoilt rotten! :) If any of you are still looking for last minute DIY gift ideas, you can click HERE for a paper rose or HERE for other DIY gift ideas. 

Anyway, how is everyone? Did you have a good week? A while back J and I went to Arbutus and watched Wicked. Needless to say Wicked was amazing!! But I wanted to share with you my experience at Arbutus :)

Arbutus Restaurant Review
If you asked me why I like London, one of the many reasons is the variety of restaurants. Granted there are a lot in other cities but London in particular has a lot more to give, and you would expect so given that it is the capital city. J and I are trying out as many restaurants as we can and do so by looking at what deals are on. At the time we were going to the theatre and we saw that Arbutus had a pre-theatre menu for £20.95, and booked via Open Table. Arbutus is a Michelin starred restaurant, so given its reputation and the price, we were in for a treat!  

Arbutus Restaurant Interior

The restaurant is situated in Soho with Soho theatre being the closest - but we were actually going to the Apollo Victoria theatre. They have their pre-theatre menu running from Monday to Saturday 5pm to 6.30pm and change the menu daily. One thing that I really take notice of, apart from the dishes, is a restaurant's interior design, and Arbutus has a lovely design. It is cosy yet modern at the same time and again provides a perfect setting for any date. 

Royalé of Stilton, broccoli velouté, toasted hazelnuts- Arbutus Review
Royalé of Stilton, broccoli velouté, toasted hazelnuts
We both ordered the soup to start. I was having the fish as a my main so didn't want to start with fish as well haha. I'm usually not a huge fan of blue cheese so I was really worried the cheese would be too overpowering. Surprisingly it wasn't that strong which I personally preferred. The fusion of flavours was really interesting and very tasty!


Crisp Elwy Valley lamb, goat's curd, gem lettuce, quinoa
Crisp Elwy Valley lamb, goat's curd, gem lettuce, quinoa
Silver mullet, purple sprouts, pumpkin, Italian leaves - Arbutus Pre-theatre menu review
Silver mullet, purple sprouts, pumpkin, Italian leaves 
I'm not a lamb eater so I ordered the fish dish which was so so delicious! I'm not sure what the sauce was but it was incredibly tasty. As with the Stilton cheese I am usually not too keen on pumpkin, but the addition of this here added an interesting mixture of textures and flavours. J ordered the lamb and said that it was tender and flavourful. 

Olive oil cake, pear, yoghurt - Arbutus Review
Olive oil cake, pear, yoghurt
Finally, for dessert we both had the oil cake. Again, the flavours and contrasting textures were very interesting. I wish there was more of the cake though, it was so delicious! I need to find a recipe for it haha. 

Overall, I had a really enjoyable time here. If you want a taste of delicious food but not at a ridiculous price I'd definitely go for their pre-theatre menu, even if you're not going to watch anything. It just gives you a little snippet of what they have to offer, which I am very impressed with. I would, however, warn that this isn't the place to go if you're super hungry, as the portions are a lot smaller than you'd probably expect. I just had a look on Arbutus' website and their pre-theatre menu is currently for £25 (HERE), but their group website and Open Table both have the £20.95 offer, so I would double check with them to see whether that offer is still available. 

I just wanted to finish off with a little about Wicked. The nearest station for us from Arbutus was Leicester Square station and we changed to the Victoria line. The Apollo Theatre is right next to the Victoria station, but with the road works going, you have to cross several roads to get to it. How am even going to start explaining how amazing Wicked was?! You can definitely understand why it is such a loved muscial. The cast were absolutely incredible and it is simply crazy how high and powerful they can all sing. We managed to get tickets for £25 and were on row H which was fantastic! There is just one word to describe Wicked, and that's WOW. I would highly recommend watching it. You'll be singing the songs way after watching it :) For those who've watched it/have heard of it, what's your favourite song from the musical? Mine's For Good :) 

Apollo Victoria Theatre:
17 Wilton Road, 
London, 
SW1V 1LG

Arbutus:
63-64 Frith Street, 
London, W1D 3JW
020 7734 4545 
info@arbutusrestaurant.co.uk

I hope you enjoyed this review! I actually have a question and would love to hear your thoughts, is it appropriate to take pictures with a camera at these kind of places? Here I used my phone but the quality isn't as good as I had hoped. 

Anyway enjoy the rest of your day, take care and speak soon!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
Other posts you may be interested in:

 The Strand Dining Rooms ReviewTexture ReviewSTK London Review

81 comments:

  1. That food looks ridiculously good! Also I am desperate to see Wicked, I HAVE to go this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looks yummy, also this is a great last minute resort for all the lazy bones to bang on Motherdays, I'm sure the mommies gonna be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked is the perfect show to go see with your mum! I went to see it with my mum and my sisters and we all loved it. It looks as though you had a fab night! That food looks immense :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Wicked last year and I loved x


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that review. I guess we will check out Arbutus when next in London.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post, layout, pictures and descriptions honestly, best post I've seen in a long time!! Although the prices seemed steep the food quality looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds so tasty and looks pretty delicious, Isabella. Say, what got fluffy Alfie for his dinner ;)
    kisses and cuddles
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't see why would not be appropriate to take pictures with a camera. I (well, hubby) took pictures at a fancy restaurant in Manchester and the waiters were happy about it. The restaurant was almost full on a Tuesday evening and nobody seemed to care. For the restaurant it's free advertising and if photographer is not using flash why would anybody else be bothered by that.

    Amazing price for Michelin starred restaurant! The food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always take the big camera if I want to blog about it! I think most places are fine with it. I really love Wicked, it was a great musical! I want to go to more musicals, especially at that price. The food looks really good too! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food looks amazing.

    Wicked was awesome. I loved it. The two times I've seen...and I would again.

    Jenn | jenniferjayne.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks delicious, but I agree the portions look tiny! I think that's always the way with Michelin star restaurants though!

    India | Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  12. the food looks amazing, so tasty
    lets follow each other! just let me know and I will follow back :)

    - www.angelaah91.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  13. The food loves amazing and mouthwateringly yummy. I have always wanted to go see wicked and I hope I do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was very delicious! We managed to get our tickets from lastminute.com, they might have them still/the offer may come back around so I'd definitely recommend checking them out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is actually my first Michelin starred experience and thankfully it was a lovely one :) thank you for passing by and have s great week!:) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was absolutely delicious! Of course what's your bloglovin?:) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It tasted even better than it looks! I can so see why you would! What's your favourite song? X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the advice Jasmine, I really appreciate it! I'll do the same as well then:) what musical is on your mustsee list?:) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Anca for your comment! It makes me feel more comfortable in taking my camera out, thank you! Have a great week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw Wicked about 6 years ago and loved it so much. Your pre-theatre dinner looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is an amazing deal for a Michelin starred restaurant, one of the many advantages of living in London without a doubt, I'm from Manchester and certainly couldn't get a deal like that around here. I'm off to see Wicked in June so thank you for the review - I now cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds lovely! I've always wanted to see Wicked, it sounds like such a brilliant show. x

    Amy | www.perksofbeingamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. It definitely lives up to its hype! Check out lastminute.com, they usually have some deals coming in as that's where we got our tickets :)x

    ReplyDelete
  24. that's so true! just gives you more excuse to come to London :p ahh so excited for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, you'll definitely be singing the songs for mnay days after x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! I just wish I had seen Wicked earlier, but it's great that it's running for so long, would be sad to see them finish :( x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Lenya! I'm not sure whether puppies are allowed in to places like this :p what i've learnt about pups are that they are always hungry :p hope you're having a wonderful week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. the entire evening was just amazing and so special! Wicked will always be one of the best musicals i think :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. not a fan of the food you have showed (weird taste buds) but I could tell they taste amazing! also Wicked is really nice, this i have to agree :)

    http://popiahc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad you're also a fan of Wicked, I'm such a huge and fan and have seen it at least three times! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing! All those dishes look delicious. And the pre-theatre menu is quite affordable.


    Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hannah Latoya Bond17 March 2015 at 22:12

    Looks like theres some good food there. I haven't seen Wicked but know people who have and they think it's great x

    ReplyDelete
  32. You can take a camera wherever you want hun! That said,your phone pics look fab anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. the place is so classy and elegant. and the food is so interesting to try.
    great review <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. The olive oil cake sounds very interesting. All the foods look delicious. :)

    -Jannette | MERESSE

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've never been to Mitchillen Star restaurant, sound like you had tasty meal

    ReplyDelete
  36. puddingmonsterblog19 March 2015 at 20:57

    The restaurant looks really interesting with the unique menus! would love to try that oil cake someday!

    Love,

    Pudding Monster

    ReplyDelete
  37. The place looks good with some nice food. I would love to see wicked.
    GlamupGirls

    ReplyDelete
  38. It sounds like a great restaurant, and The food looks unique and delicious! Awesome photos, Isabella!Thank you so much for stopping by. Hope you have a wonderful weekend<3

    x♥x♥

    "http://saudebelezaexercicio.blogspot.com/"

    ReplyDelete
  39. anubhooti khanna21 March 2015 at 16:34

    love your review... foods look delicious ..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really want to see Wicked - I love musicals and haven't seen this one yet. The food looks fabulous too.

    #UKBloggers

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beauty_Blogette22 March 2015 at 17:45

    The food looks delicious and the place looks nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love love love the song for good and defying gravity!! =D Glad you enjoyed the show =)

    ReplyDelete
  43. So everything on here looks so yummy :) glad you had a great time, xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. I've seen wicked when it ran in the philippines and it was truly a magical experience. Love the song numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The pictures make me drroolllll!! Loving that Brocolli dish totally!! Glad you had a nice time at this place.

    GIG Love
    http://www.styleapastiche.com
    http://www.facebook.com/styleapastiche

    ReplyDelete
  46. I must say the restaurant interior seems very cozy and warming and you photograph foods really well. They looks delicious.

    GIG Love,
    http://greenstoryblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. i can't imagine what an olive oil cake o.O i just have oil in mind lol

    ReplyDelete
  48. Heena Shah-Dhedhi24 March 2015 at 11:45

    Looks like a great place. Hopefully on my next trip to london i get a chance to visit.
    GigLove,
    - Heena, http://www.icynosure.in/

    ReplyDelete
  49. The food look so delightful~ thanks for sharing. But it is too far away from me... =(

    ReplyDelete
  50. Im going to london in July, and deffo gonna check this place out. The fish dish looks good xoxo www.junedujour.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Khushboo Motihar24 March 2015 at 17:01

    You definitely got a great deal! A michelin star meal at this prices definitely worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm usually quite unadventurous with food as well but for some reason i really took a liking to all the food! x

    ReplyDelete
  53. three times? wowieee i'd love to go again, i'll just have to keep an eye out for some cheap tickets again :p which is your favourite song? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  54. They really were! Definitely not something to have everyday or every week, but definitely makes for a nice time out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  55. it was all very tasty! oooh if you have a chance I would highly recommend it! x

    ReplyDelete
  56. thank you so much! hahaa it definitely did make my taste buds go ooh what is this strangeness at the beginning, but afterwards all it was all yum ahhaa x

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you! I know right, it was so goooood though :) x

    ReplyDelete
  58. It was so so tasty, and a great way to try something different :) x

    ReplyDelete
  59. It was a really cosy yet stylish place, and the food was amazing! would definitely recommend it, it was so so tasty :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  60. the decor was really lovely, as was the food :) and i would highly recommend seeing wicked, it definitely lives up to the hype!! x

    ReplyDelete
  61. If I'm being totally honest it would HAVE to be Defying Gravity - I still have that stuck in my head haha! How about you? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  62. My favourite is 'for good' but defying gravity is definitely a close second, it's such a classic and I am also in awe as to how they sing so high and powerfully haha x

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you! Everything was really tasty too:p x

    ReplyDelete
  64. Should definitely check whether last minute.com or some places do deals, even if not I'd definitely say it's worth the money:) which is your favourite musical? X

    ReplyDelete
  65. They're such beautiful songs aren't they, so powerful and full of emotion, though popular is another of my faves haha x

    ReplyDelete
  66. The set and costumes are just spectacular..basically everything hahaa x

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm glad you enjoyed this post and that the photos were good enough:D x

    ReplyDelete
  68. I would have definitely thought the same if I had seen them but it was such a pleasant surprise x

    ReplyDelete
  69. Aww thank you for your comment, it really means a lot, thank you!! X

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hahaa that would be terrible! The surprising thing was that it wasn't oily at all and the cake was super soft. Definitely recommend it x

    ReplyDelete
  71. Thank you so much! It was so so delicious! It's always a great place to go if you want to try top notch food at not too ridiculous a price! x

    ReplyDelete
  72. It was! haha you definitely should, it really was amazing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  73. It was so tasty, the fusion of flavours was just incredible! If you're in London I'd definitely give it a try :) x

    ReplyDelete
  74. You should! But even if you don't, London offers so many incredible places to eat :) x

    ReplyDelete
  75. Aww no:( Well if you ever get a chance to visit, then you have a crazy amount of places to choose from :) x

    ReplyDelete
  76. If you do go, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! And I hope you have a fantastic time during your visit :) x

    ReplyDelete
  77. Definitely, a bargain price definitely makes the experience a lot better :p x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for passing by, I really appreciate it! Have a lovely day :D Feel free to email me on lifeasapetite@outlook.com ☺

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...