Tuesday 19 May 2015

What to Wear for a Job Interview

What to wear for a job interview?

Boo!

If you have a job interview lined up, I just want to firstly congratulate you! After hours and hours of research and trying to fit your answers to the word limit, it is always so rewarding to hear some positive news.  Securing that well deserved interview is already a big hurdle, and you don't want your outfit to let you down on the big day. So, have one less thing to worry about by having your outfit interview-appropriate and interview-ready at the very minimum the night before.

This post is written in collaboration with City Calling which is a free career site that matches jobs (in the UK & Ireland) to your personality & skills and you can find more here: Job Vacancies. I have been browsing the website myself the past week and by filling out the profile page a selection of available suitable jobs have been suggested to me. What I like most about the site is that they have articles such as 'How to use LinkedIn to market yourself online', 'Finding the Right Career', and Making a Good Impression On Your First Day which I personally find very insightful. Below are a couple of other articles they have and you can click HERE for more. 
What to wear for a job interview?

So, onto what to wear! Where to begin? Well, it really depends on what kind of interview you're attending. Have a read of what your interview email/letter says and try to dress accordingly. If it says 'Smart Casual' I would always err on the side of caution by being more formal. There's nothing wrong with being a bit smarter.

Although this post will focus more on formal interview outfits, the most important thing for any type of interview outfit is to ensure that you are comfortable in whatever you wear. You don't want to feel self-conscious, or worry about blisters or your skirt riding up etc. 

CLOTHES
I think it is an essential for all women (and especially for men) to have a tailored suit. Although they can cost more, they really are worth it as you will look very well put together and automatically interview ready. Or at the very least make sure that you try on a couple of suits to get the perfect one(s). As time-consuming as that may be, finding the style that suits your body is a step closer to not having to worry about your interview outfit. Whether you prefer having lapels or not, or have flared, straight legged or cigarette trousers, you want to wear something that enables you to carry yourself with confidence. 

So skirts, pants or dresses? It really is up to you. Choose whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. If you worry about your skirt riding up, choose trousers. If you don't want to worry about what shirt to match with your trousers/skirt, choose a suit dress. Never ever choose anything that is far too tight fitting, you want to be able to walk comfortable and most importantly, be able to breathe! 

What to wear for a job interview? Interview Outfit Ideas
What to wear for a job interview? Interview Outfit Ideas
Typically, formal interview outfits tend to be void of colour, and I would say it is probably best to stay with a more subdued colours. Although I have heard that, for men, it is best to stay away from black suits as they are normally worn at funerals. I'm not sure how true that is but that's something to consider when buying suits. If you do want to add a bit of colour to reflect your personality I would advise something not too in your face, as you want the interviewer to concentrate on what you are saying rather than wondering where you got your bright shirt from. 


I personally tend to go for blues or creams, as an alternate to white or black just because I feel comfortable in those colours and it is just a little different. Also, as I have a tendency to go pink if I am nervous, I have been advised to stay well away from reds or pinks as that will make you look even more red. 


What to wear for a job interview? Interview Outfit Ideas
SHOES
Heels or Flats? Again, whatever is comfortable and puts you in the 'interview-zone'. I prefer wearing heels because as a petite, this gives me a little bit of a height boost, and does make me feel more confident. However, if you do choose wear heels you don't want to worry about getting blisters or falling over so make sure they are at a sensible height and are comfortable. If you didn't feel as though you could be creative with your outfit, you could always wear shoes that reflect your personality. But again, be quite subtle and don't wear anything to flash. Finally, you want to make sure that you polish them at least the day before your interview. There's nothing more annoying than a polished outfit being ruined by your shoes. 
What to wear for a job interview? Interview Outfit Ideas
ACCESSORIES
Everyone has heard of the phrase less it more, and it couldn't be more true in an interview situation. I am definitely an advocate for wearing your lucky necklace or bracelet etc but make sure that they won't distract you or your interviewer.
What to wear for a job interview? Interview Outfit Ideas


I hope you all enjoyed this post! What are your interview fashion essentials? If you are ever unsure about whether your outfit is too risky/informal for a formal interview, always go for a safe option. You have plenty of chances to experiment with various styles when you've secured your job, of course within reason. But to make sure you have one less thing to worry about on the day of your interview, make sure your outfit is on the 'safe' side. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to drop me a comment or an email at lifeasapetite@outlook.com. Before I go, just want to say good luck! :) 


Have a great week everyone! Take care and speak soon. 


You can also find me: Bloglovin' || Twitter || Instagram || Pinterest || Facebook

63 comments:

  1. Exactly what I needed :p
    thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, I'm glad it's useful :) Best of luck with your interview x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always struggled with interview appropriate attire and always ended up going for a simple 'officey' style dress as it meant I didn't have to think about it too much! Is it bad to have only one smart dress and wear it constantly to different interviews? haha
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely always er on the side of caution with interview dress - you never know who you are going to come up against and it doesn't matter if you think you look great - if they don't agree then it is very hard for the interviewer to see past that! Sophie xx
    www.fashionnomads.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heena Shah-Dhedhi19 May 2015 at 17:40

    This is a great post.. My fashion essentials for an interview mirror these choices.
    - Heena, http://www.icynosure.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great post, I have always been a black trousers and white or black shirt girl. Skirts make me nervous even on a casual day so I tend to go what I'm comfortable in.



    Georgia | www.georgiapetite.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! very classy looks :)

    xx Sera | STARDUSTBOHEMIAN.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I always worried when I had interviews, if I'd look too overdressed or if I'd look like I'm going to a funeral. Thanks for sharing these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Revenian Serenalexia20 May 2015 at 01:54

    What a cool post! I personally always being worried by the clothes choosing on this interview day. But, in my preference, I rather choose a shirt topped with blazer and a trouser. I like it being a bit sleek. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. we should always dress formally for interviews, and keep the colour as simple as possible. however, I feel that for creative roles, being more flamboyant might not be a bad thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great for an interview

    xo

    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mellissa Williams20 May 2015 at 08:41

    I love the fitted jacket and the colour block dress.First impressions count, so I would always advise people to dress smartly at an interview unless it was a job in the creative industries where I would check dress code first.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good advice for what to wear during an interview

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is timely. thank you! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic and useful tips, Isa, great advice.
    hugs and cuddles (for fluffy Alfie)
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you both for this interesting post. I work as a freelancer and when I have an appointment or a meeting I usually wear black, because I feel more confident and smarter. Have a great rest of the week!

    Jasmine x
    For a Real Woman

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are really nice picks, one should wear stylish but comfortable dress for job interview.
    GlamupGirls

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd go with a pencil skirt and blazer if I had to go for an interview. Luckily I won't have to for a while, they're stressful.


    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post!! I love the pencil skirt and would love to wear that..

    ReplyDelete
  20. puddingmonsterblog21 May 2015 at 18:51

    you sure gave us some really useful tips! gonna look back to this post when i do have an interview someday ;)

    Love,

    Pudding Monster

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are some great styling suggestions in this post, I find with job interviews pointed flats are perfect as they're sensible yet stylish! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha of course not, especially if it's your lucky smart dress :) If you had like a week long work experience etc it might be an idea to get a couple of dresses :) But simplicity is sometimes the best, and like you said you don't have to think as much! Interviews are already nerve wracking so the less things to worry about the better! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's so true, you never want to start an interview with the interview not having a good impression of you already x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Comfort definitely is key, as it'll make you feel more relaxed and confident :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're welcome! Sometimes for interviews it's better to be overdressed or if you are worried, as sombre as it sounds, dress as if going to a funeral, because then you know you'll be 'safe' x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that kind of look, I actually wish I felt comfortable enough to wear it for an interview! For a normal work day I'd probably wear that though :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course, and I think if colours are chosen a subtle colour is always best :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Khushboo Motihar24 May 2015 at 05:04

    Those are great tips. The outfits will look stylish and formal and give off a great vibe during the interviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips! I'd add, bring your confidence and smile. At the end of the day, don't forget to let your personality shine.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I personally think that wearing a skirt gives better first impression compare to pants =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. really casual looks and formal outfit going to wear on your job interview.
    thank you for the recommendation <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. Spot on with your choices on the outfits for a job interview! I usually end up wearing trousers though!


    GIG Love
    xoxo Chaicy - New Post up - Style.. A Pastiche!
    SAP on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm more like a white-black shirt-trouser and flat pump person! Comfort comes first to me! It was a helpful post though.

    GIG Love,
    http://greenstoryblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the one jourdan dunns wearing! I always go for a blazer and skirt with mid high heels. All black except for the shirt but i feel like a proper business woman wearing it haha

    ReplyDelete
  35. it's gorgeous isn't it? it's amazing how business wear can make you feel so powerful ahha x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you! Yes, comfort definitely should always come first, as it'll make you feel more relaxed which makes it much easier to tackle any interview :) x

    ReplyDelete
  37. If trousers make you feel more comfortable then definitely keep wearing those. There's nothing more distracting to yourself than worrying about your clothes! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. it's always important to double check to make sure what the dress code is for the interview, but I say being more formal is probably safer if you're unclear. But then again you could always clarify with them :) x

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's the great thing for women, we have the choice of wearing trousers or skirts depending on what we feel most comfortable in :) x

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's so true, thank you for the reminder! Although you've got to be respectful and professional, you should always be yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Flats definitely remove the risk of worrying about falling over :p x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you, I'm glad they were useful! I'm sure you'll have an interview in the future, and when you do, don't hestitate to drop me a message x

    ReplyDelete
  43. For some reason work is the only place I'd like to wear pencil skirts, I find them too formal otherwise in other situations :p x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gosh, tell me about it, I swear I've gotten so many grey hairs stressing over them haha. But then again they are really useful life experiences haha x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Definitely, although comfort and professional should definitely come first. You've always got a chance to show your fashionable side when you've secured that important job:p x

    ReplyDelete
  46. I've seen people wear coloured suits, but then again I've never seen them being worn for interviews. Black definitely is a smart and safeest option! x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you so much Lenya. Love the new nickname hehe, never been called that actually :) kisses from fluffy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  48. You're welcome! Best of luck for your interview :) x

    ReplyDelete
  49. Definitely, there's always room for creativity when you've secured the job. But for the first interview, like you said first impressions are really important! x

    ReplyDelete
  50. These are great outfits to wear to an interview. I haven't been on an interview in 6 years, but I'm ready to look for a new job so I will keep this bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great post very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love blue so is be going with that colour. I love a nice tailored dress or skirt myself as i feel more confident and feminine on those. Great tips, I'll be using these next time I have an interview:-) x

    ReplyDelete
  53. woah all the design look so sleek and professional!!good job!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thank you! I wish I could add all of these to my wardrobe haha x

    ReplyDelete
  55. Definitely! Wear something that makes you feel confident and good about yourself, as it'll help relax you for your interview. If you have an interview coming up, best of luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thank you! Good luck for any up coming interviews! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for passing by, I really appreciate it! Have a lovely day :D Feel free to email me on lifeasapetite@outlook.com ☺

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...